If you have a dog with ear problems then it will be worthwhile keeping a supply of ear cleaning necessities at hand. Depending on how dirty your dog’s ears get, whether your dog has ear infection or inflammation problems or suffers from regular yeast infections will depend upon what products you require. If you are not sure about what are the most appropriate products to have on hand then it would be wise to seek the advice of a veterinary professional. However, once you know what works best for your dog then it is possible to get ear cleaning supplies at cheaper prices online.
Not only will you require the powders or solutions but you may need to use special tweezers or scissors if your dog has a lot of ear fluff (see the page on Plucking Your Dog’s Ears). You may also need a cloth or ear-wipes to wipe any residue out of the ear.
Below is a list of some of the more well-known and popular ear cleaning supplies for your dog.
Ear cleaning solutions:
- Clean Ear Solution – contains enzymes to soften and dissolve ear wax and debris. Nontoxic, nonirritating and nonallergenic. Contains no alcohol.
- Epi-Otic – a skin and ear cleanser for cleansing dead skin tissue from superficial skin wounds, and the cleaning of moist waxy ear lesions.
- Ear Canker Drops – antifungal and antiparasitic, particularly effective where ear mites are the underlying problem.
- Ilium Ear Drops – for ear mite infestations and minor bacterial and fungal infections.
- Ilium Oticlean – for use as an adjunct in the treatment of otitis externa (outer ear infections), wounds and abrasions in horses, dogs and cats.
- Oti-Derm – Ear Cleaner and Wound Cleanser For use as an adjunct in the treatment of otitis externa, for the removal of accumulated wax deposits, and aids in the removal of necrotic tissue, coagulum and debris from wounds in horses, dogs & cats.
Natural and herbal ear cleaning formula:
- Ear Dr. – a holistic remedy and contains a blend of natural, herbal ingredients in a medicinal olive oil base, all specially selected to promote the health of the skin and structures inside the ear.
You will need to follow individual instructions to check whether drops can be put straight into the ear and massaged in or whether they are meant to be put onto a cotton ball first and then wiped out.
Ear wipes and cleaners:
- Ear Cleaning Pads – contain a gentle, fast-acting formula which thoroughly clean the ears and remove wax build-up that could lead to discomfort and infections if left untreated. Use the pad to gently rub the accessible portion of the ear. Regular use (once or twice weekly) will help to maintain good ear hygiene. These are available at very reasonable prices from Petsmart and Medic Animal.
- Keeps ears dry
- For dogs with floppy ears, swimmers and hunters
Keeping your dog’s ears clean is very important to maintain good health. This cream is a formulated blend of natural ingredients to keep ears dry, clean and odor-free by providing a moisture barrier within the ear canal. Perfect for dogs with floppy ears and those that swim or hunt.
Ingredients: Water, silica, apple cider vinegar, St. John’s Wort, rosemary, lavender oil
Suggested Use: Apply cream directly into ear canal and gently massage. It is a good idea to first remove excess hair and then clean away wax and other matter. Caution: For use in ear canal only. Do not use if there is suspected damage to the eardrum.
These ideas and recommendations are a guide only. Always consult your vet if you are not sure what condition your dog’s ears are in.
Also refer to our related pages:-